Monday, December 28, 2009

This year I resolve:

It seems to a contractual obligation for most radio announcers to say that this year their New Year's resolution is to "not make any resolutions." This mantra gets annoying, but it does tell us how hard it is to keep resolutions. As a coach, I'm a professional resolution-suggester, so it only seems fair to tell you how to keep your resolution, and I do encourage resolutions. I make and keep mine. Here's how.
Make your resolution small, specific and symbolic.
Instead of saying, "This year I will be more patient," you say, "This year I will refrain from criticizing my spouse's driving. Or my daughter's hair style. (Last year I stopped blurting grammar corrections for TV announcers. I had to stop watching Fox News, tho).
Do pick an action that is symbolic of who you would like to be. If you are a Two, don't resolve to help your daughter, you already do too much of that. Take a look at your enneagram style and resolve to do one symbolic act that is just slightly out of your comfort zone.
Then, unless it has to do with sexual deviance, employ the usual support systems: write it out, share it with someone who will annoy you by reminding you if you broke it, and give yourself a small reward. The reward must be small and symbolic, too, because if you make it large, you're going to work for the reward instead of the inner satisfaction of being less neurotic.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this! You've encouraged me to blog about New Year's resolutions, as well (http://outoftheboxcoaching.blogspot.com/2009/12/tips-for-new-years-goals.html)and then a friend pointed me to something called "urge surfing" (link at end of my blog entry).

    ReplyDelete