Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Academia

A lot of people study "about" the enneagram. It's not the way I employ and enjoy it. I use it as a diagnostic tool to see problems and then use other disciplines to help people weaken their enneagram trance.
If you're interested in the academic approach, Elizabeth Wagele has a blog on Psychology Today that lists some places you can get academic treatment of the Enneagram. Here's the link: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-career-within-you/201010/the-enneagram-is-becoming-popular

I shy away from "scientific" approaches to the Enneagram because so much of contemporary science is reductionistic. That is, only visible behavior can be studied, because if something is to be called scientific it must be quantifiable by some means: sensory data or computer calculation.

The Enneagram is also about inner motivation and subjective experience: using it is an art more than a science. I do not apologize for that. I am a theologian and that also required art and intuition for fruitful employment. So does parenting, coaching, loving and most of the other important endeavors of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment