Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The mother of invention

Before Wikipedia there were linguistic insights so profound and widely applicable that they became aphorisms. The reason they stick in our language is that all of us are smarter than any of us--the principle behind wikipedia.

Necessity is the mother of invention. It is only when we are aware of what we don't have that we invent something new. Pain works quite well. If I am in pain doing something, it feels necessary to do something different.

Once I am aware of what I don't have, what the vacancy is, what I don't know, what I fear, then I can do something different. When it becomes emotionally necessary to make a change, I make the requisite invention. Complacency is the mother of paralysis. As you become aware of your enneagram energy, you become more aware of what you're missing.

The people have spoken by keeping this principle alive in the treasury of sayings: Necessity is the mother of invention.

No comments:

Post a Comment